The “1st International Marine Science Communication Conference – New tools and practices” is an interdisciplinary and international marine science communication meeting jointly organized by the CIIMAR (Interdisciplinary Centre of Marine and Environmental Research of the University of Porto); the European Marine Board Communications Panel (EMBCP) and Ciência Viva (National Agency for Scientific and Technological Culture). The conference will take place in Porto, Portugal on 8-9 September 2014.
This conference aims to delineate challenges for scientists and marine science communicators and to highlight new tools and practices in this field, in order to set up a more efficient dialogue with journalists, decision-makers, and the general public.
The conference will be a great opportunity for all marine science communicators and researchers to:
- Understand the power of marine science outreach: objectives, motivations, relevance and audiences
- Develop key messages related in marine science communication
- Promote a dialogue on the role of marine science and technology in society
- Discuss new projects and actions to be undertaken to involve different audiences
- Showcase the latest advances in marine science communication
- Study current and new tools for communicating marine science, including social media and new opportunities of the Internet era
Venue: Hotel Fenix Ipanema Porto, Porto, Portugal